Family Petitions

Learn what to do…

if I Need a Family-Sponsored Petition & How Do I Apply for Family-Sponsored Status?

It can be difficult enough to come to the States alone, but coming with family can be even more complicated. Let us help you and your loved ones from our Brownsville immigration law firm!

What is a spousal visa?

If you are a U.S citizen or green card holder in the United States and you want for your foreign spouse to reside here with you, you must apply for a spousal visa. You must also apply for a spousal visa before beginning the process to apply for their permanent residency (green card) and then citizenship. This process is often difficult, complex, and lengthy, so it is important to have an experienced immigration attorney to help you.

Who can submit a family-sponsored visa application?

U.S. citizens, and sometimes green card holders, can submit petitions for their immediate family members to obtain a green card. Please keep in mind that priority is given to applications submitted by a U.S. citizen, and preference is given for applications for spouses and minors.

The following family members are eligible for family-sponsored petitions:

  • Children under the age of 21
  • Spouses
  • Adult children and grandchildren
  • Parents and siblings (and their spouses and children) when the petitioner is 21 years old or older

What is the process to apply for a family-sponsored visa?

The process to apply for a family-sponsored visa can take quite a bit of time (10-13 months, but sometimes longer) and requires several steps and documents.

As the U.S. citizen or green card holder, you will need to provide proof of your citizenship or permanent residency in addition to filling out the required forms. You will also need to provide proof of your relationship with the family member you are applying for, such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, family photos, proof of name changes, etc. sufficient to prove evidence of the relation.

The process from beginning to end is quite complicated, but with a qualified and experienced immigration law firm on your side, the process is much less confusing and less prone to mistakes being made that could cause your application to be rejected. Diez & Crane immigration attorneys have decades of experience helping clients through this process, so reach out to our team ! We’re located right here in the Rio Grande Valley in Brownsville, Texas.


Don't take our word for it, let our clients do the talking.

Great immigration attorneys very professional and will fight for your rights.. 100% recommend them

Jose Cantu

Excellent service, they helped me to process my permanent residence, they always solved all my doubts & Damaris always taking care of my case. Fully recommended. Thank you!

Ela gtz

Great immigration attorneys very professional and will fight for your rights.. 100% recommend them

Jose Cantu

Got referred here and they have been helping me with my case, Damaris has been very helpful with all my questions and concerns thank you for all your help


Excellent service, very professional and knowledgeable personnel, highly recommended immigration attorney.

Raul Gomez Villalpando

Request a Free Consultation

Reach out to us and we will get back to you as soon as possible